Sunday, October 28, 2012

Why I Love Trick or Treating....

My children actually think that Halloween is the last Sunday in October.  We live in a town that always trick-or-treats on the Sunday before Halloween...it's probably a law or something brilliant like that.  Now that I've been in the big world of politics for 6 whole months (school board, if you don't know) I figure somebody proposed this years ago to benefit their own child, nobody has ever looked at the 'why' since, and it just stays this way and nobody can tell you why...but I digress.
Here are my top ten reasons for loving trick-or-treating:

1) Digging through the costume bin.  This provides hours and hours of entertainment.  Every year when we dig it (or them) out, we find something that got shoved in it while the kids were 'cleaning up' the year before.  Our best one was a library book that was wrapped in a Ninja costume.  They even refunded my lost book fee!
2) The great equalizer...I love anything that just puts us all at the same level.  Every kid has a blast, and gets the same treats.
3) My niece, Lou, gets this one.  One year she came to t-o-t with us, and screamed her head off the whole hour before-hand.  None of us could figure it out.  She was the cutest looking little Tinkerbell ever, the sound...notsomuch.  After looking around, I had a brief inspired moment, and asked if she wanted to be Spiderman instead.  (We had both the black version and blue and red versions available, thank you very much.)  I nailed it!...no wimpy fairy costume for her...she was going out with 4 male cousins and her brother, and she did NOT want to be a fairy...she wanted to be a superhero. 
4) The family that works for Mars.  We have received the greatest candy from that house.
5) The great candy trade afterwards.   What can I say?  If I could still be in there trading a Kit Kat for a Reeses...I would be all over it!  (Now I just take it, but the thrill is gone)
6) The moment when all the little kids realize what's going on.  It's fantastic when it dawns on them if they ring people's doorbells and say blah-blah-blah, they get candy.  Suddenly they are sprinting up driveways, and all bad attitudes vanish.
7) Cool people who like decorating their houses.  I am not one, but I appreciate the art form.
8) Teenage mooses who will not let go of trick-or-treating.  This used to annoy me, but now that I have some (ok, SIX) it cracks me up.  It's one of the last little kid things they cling to.  My 17 year old spend hours sewing bunny ears last night. 
9) Smarties.  Nuff said.
10)  Last, and absolutely not least, is that fact that there are mountains of chocolate in my house for at least a week.  Absolutely limitless!
11) Wait.  I have another one.  Half price candy the next day...I definitely do the retail rounds.  So what if your Christmas stocking is full of black and orange skittle packs?  They taste the same! 
12) Hang on...one more...the left over candy at your own house.  Fantastic!

Enjoy!  I have to go and dye Grandpa Ninja's hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment